Digestive problems can strike anytime. It may happen due to stress, poor dietary choices or a sedentary lifestyle. Poor digestion can also cause many unpleasant symptoms and affect your quality of life. While a balanced diet may boost digestion, doing yoga regularly can also support a healthy gut. Doing certain yoga poses for digestion can make it easier for your body to absorb nutrients and they can play a vital role in detoxifying the gut. Yoga also improves blood flow to abdominal organs, which helps reduce digestive discomfort and make you feel better. So, if you have tummy issues, try these yoga poses!
5 yoga poses for better digestion
1. Padahastasana (Standing forward bend pose)
Padahastasana yoga pose is very effective for better digestion. It stretches your stomach muscles and gives them a gentle massage, which strengthens the digestive system. It also helps to regularize blood flow in the body, which reduces the risk of irritable bowel syndromes. To perform it:
- Stand straight on the mat and keep both legs together.
- Straighten your back and take a deep breath. Now slowly exhale, bend downward, and look towards the ground.
- Straighten both arms and keep both palms firmly on the ground. Avoid bending the knees.
- Take deep breaths and exhale in this position. Stay in the position for 10 to 15 seconds, leaving the body loose.
- Now, go back to the starting position and repeat the exercise.
2. Utkatasana (Chair pose)
This yoga pose is known to reduce cramps in body parts, including stomach pain. The kneeling position helps improve digestion, which in turn increases the absorption of nutrients. It can also strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. To perform it:
- To do this yoga, stand straight on the mat. Now raise the toes of the feet and pull the body.
- Straighten both arms from the elbows and move them upwards. After this, bring the arms down and keep them in front.
- After this, bend both legs at the knees and come into a sitting posture. Now sit down on your toes. But do not touch the hips to the ground.
- Now stand straight and bring the body back to its normal position. Repeat this yoga 2 to 3 times a day.
3. Wind Relieving Pose (Pavana Muktasana)
To boost digestion and keep the body stress-free, doing yoga is considered beneficial. By doing this yoga pose, it becomes easier to digest food. It can also provide relief from back pain. To perform it:
- Lie down on your back on the mat. After that, straighten your back and keep your arms along the waist.
- Now bend both of them at the knees and bring them near the chest. Join the legs together. Now hold the legs firmly with both arms.
- Slowly bring the neck forward as well. Now touch your forehead with your knees. Keep the body in this posture for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Take a deep breath and exhale. After this, leave the body loose and lie down on the mat with your legs straight.
4. Boat pose (Navasana)
This yoga pose strengthens the back, waist, and legs. Apart from this, it helps make your digestion smooth. It also proves helpful in removing digestive problems like constipation, gas, and acidity. To perform it:
- Lie straight on your back on the mat. Keep your waist straight. Now pull the legs upward.
- Now bend both legs from the knees. After that, lift the neck upwards and try to lift the body to the waist.
- To maintain balance in the body, keep both arms straight. It will stretch your stomach muscles.
- Take a deep breath and hold it for a few seconds. Now leave the body loose and lie down on the mat.
5. Child’s pose (Balasana)
This relaxing yoga asana promotes digestion through gentle pressure on the abdomen. It can aid in relieving digestive discomfort and promoting regular bowel movements as well. To perform it:
- Begin in a kneeling position on a yoga mat.
- Sit back on your heels, toes touching, and knees apart.
- Lower your torso forward, reaching your arms out in front.
- Rest your forehead on the mat and relax in this position.
Practice these yoga poses regularly to see the results!